There’s another of these designer scams happening now, under the name VEEHAUS; just wanted to put it out there so that people can Google for it (as I did).
Here’s the initial email I received. Mine came from a “Paul Lowery,” but I’m sure they’ll use other names over time.
Hello, I’m Paul. I’ll like to know if you offer design services, do let me know.
I replied and asked for a call and what he was wanting (he said a catalogue), and he replied with this:
It is detailed; it’s a newly established company. Do drop your cell number for easy communication.
The company is really based on sales of furniture such as ottomans, desk lamps, sectional, buffets & sideboards, counter & bar stools, kitchen cabinet, sofa, office chair, accent tables, king bench bed etc.
The company name is VEEHAUS
My website is under fabrication which would be registered soon.
The full text content and all images for the catalog will be submitted to you by the project consultant you’ll just handle the layout.
The brochure should be 24 in pages (including front and back cover) because i have lot information, approved and crosscheck text and images.
The size of brochure should be 8.5 x 11.5.
I’ll want you to add to add my mission, value, vision, etc to the catalog, I’ll have it sent to you.
So, this seems relatively legit. We exchanged numbers (he texted me), and here’s what he sent:
NOTE: he did actually call me. Never had that happen before with one of these scams. But it did this time. He had a very thick accent, but did actually call.
From here, I assume this will go nowhere. If I were to continue, I’m sure I’d eventually find out that Paul:
- Might have a disability. For whatever reason, this flavor of scam seems to feature a lead player with a disability, and there’s a LinkedIn profile showing someone in a hospital bed with a similar name.
- The project manager won’t be able to take payment
- I’ll be sent too much money, it will actually show up in my account, and then I’ll be asked to send some to the project manager. Once sent, after a week or so, the money sent to me will disappear from my account and the real money I sent will be lost.
Just wanted to put out a warning.
Update: Another similar scam
On Oct. 23, I received the following email, another scam along exactly the same lines:
The company is based on importing and exporting of Salon Equipment such as Dryer,hair cream,Weavon,Hairdressing,Clippers, i need a best of the best layout design for it. Can you handle that for me ?. so i need you to check out this site but i need something more perfect than this
if its possible .http://instaserve.in/... I have a private consultant that has the text content and logo for the site . the site would only be information, so i need you to give me an estimate.
1. I want the website to be informational only with 12 to 15 pages .
2. I want only English language
3. I don’t have a domain yet but i want the domain name as Hi5supply4u.com
4. you will be updating the site for me.
5. i will be proving the images, logos and content for the site.
6. i want the site up and running before ending of next 3 month.
7. My budget is $8000 to $12,000
8.Are you the Owner